Thought for the Day

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Monday, February 4, 2008

Leaving His Mark

Today was a full day, but the definite highlight was Benjamin's doctor visit. We went for his annual well-child exam with Dr. Drake. I picked up Ethan from school, stopped to get gas and the three kids and I went to the doctor's office. We arrived about 30 minutes early, which we all know is unusual for me. I thought, Oh, this will be great, maybe we'll get done early for once. The kids were playing in the little playroom on the side and I was sitting there trying to listen to the Animal Planet show that was on the TV. The next thing I know, Benjamin goes by pushing a dump truck full of blocks. There, on the backside of Benjamin was this lovely picture of a diaper explosion! Yes, this was real. Then, of course I had to get the toy back in the playroom, grab Benjamin and the two other kids and try to get the receptionist to buzz the door so I can go try to clean up the mess in the bathroom. Was there a changing table in the bathroom I chose? Oh, no! So, laying paper towels on the tile floor and trying to get a squirmy two year old cleaned up was just great. I'm sure listening from the outside of the door was even better! My next dilemma was whether I had a spare shirt or something for Benjamin to wear vs. just a diaper. Fortunately, that was an answered prayer! It was old and had paint on it, but it still fit. I tried asking the receptionist if there was an outside trash can to throw away the evidence so that other patients didn't pass out when they used the restroom, but they weren't much help. So, I had it wrapped up and carried it through the doctor's office until I could throw it away outside. She had also told me that they called our name while we were in the bathroom; isn't that convenient! As we were leaving, I knew I needed to check the playroom to see if any was left behind. Sure enough, Mom, your job is not over! I did the best I could and let the receptionist know that they might want to have someone clean it better. She just gave me this big smile. This was probably our last visit to the doctor's office there since we will be moving, but hey at least Benjamin left his mark. Needless to say, a 20 minute appointment took 2hrs! I'm HAPPY to report that Benjamin is doing just great! He did get one shot and his leg was sore by bedtime, but a little Tylenol and he's sleeing like a log! Thank goodness I don't have a picture to post!

2 comments:

Jon, Launa, & boys said...

I know I am bad, but I giggled the whole time reading the story. I am just glad that I am not the only one that that happens to! The good thing is you had a shirt, that is better than me. And so what did you make for dinner when you got home? Hee-hee!

Pariera Family said...

Char...just another day as a mom, I am glad I am not the only one to have days like this... I was however laughing while I read it...Welcom to the blogging world