Thought for the Day

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday America!

It was a great 4th of July this year!  It was filled with family, food, fun & fireworks.  We all met at my sister Tammy's house, relaxed and had a good time.  We dined on BBQ, salads, fruit, flag cake and homemade Root Beer Float and Maple Nut ice cream.  I think those were the crowd favorites!  Once it finally got dark...around 10pm we started a few small fireworks, only to lead up to some big ones.  In a small town, we didn't go anywhere to watch fireworks, we just bought and lit off our own.  The small kids enjoyed some sparklers and the ones that jump around on the ground.  We had a few fountain fireworks and then launched off some huge bottle rockets, courtesy of my brother, Curt.  Needless to say, you can get by with a few extras around here. 

Between us and the neighbors I would say we had our own pretty good little fireworks show.  All we needed was a big boom box; next year we'll add that to the list.  As I was enjoying the festivities I reflected on the joy of being with family and realized that's what the spirit of America/4th of July is all about is families and friends getting together and just having good fun and creating those "moments in time".  I look forward to next year!

No comments: