Thought for the Day

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

'Twas the Night Before Christmas...

...and off we did go, down the slippery street and through the white snow.  It's off to a party this Christmas Eve night, with lots of good food, oh what a delight.

"Around the World" was the theme for that night, so we got our utensils and held on tight!  Our first stop on the map was 'ole Mexico, with hot chimichangas and guacamole to go.

Then off on our way and over the seas, a short trip to China where 'qing' means please.  With chopsticks in hand to scoop up the rice, add some orange chicken, it's really quite nice.

Now I know what you're thinking...there's no more room in these pants,  so just loosen your belt and stand up and dance!

Step left, then right and a one, two three, let's all start Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree.

So you're waiting to find out; what's the next line?  I'm so glad you've asked, but I've run out of rhymes.

As we traveled the world we shouted with glee, and decided we'd stop in Rome, Italy.  Mmmmm, yummy lasagna with bread on the side; wait, take some pizza along for the ride.

To cross the ocean, we could take a boat, but really at this point; I'm not sure it would float.  So you'd better call Noah to bring in the ark, we need something big; we're off to Denmark.

With great frickadellers and aebleskivers, "Do you know what that is?" I don't either!

To the top of the mountains, to ride our new sled; not just yet, can't you smell it...it's Portuguese sweet bread.  

Oooo la la, that was tasty, what more can I say; but we'd better head back to the U.S. A.

Have some chocolate or candies or fudge that's just right, I think after that I'm done for the night.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a harsh cold wind and snow up to my ears.

It's off to our sleigh, but try it we must, just floor it, we'll make it; it's homeward or bust!

Thank you, Lord; what a beautiful night; Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Okay, now that you've read through my ridiculous poem, I'll make the short version on the evening.  It was a wonderful time to spend with family on Christmas Eve.  We had lots of good food and good company.  The kids acted out the nativity as we read the story of Jesus' birth from Luke.  Then we all sang some Christmas carols together.  It was quite a surprise when we got ready to go.  I opened the door to start loading up the car and it had been snowing pretty good for the last three to four hours.  We had some fun getting out of my brother's driveway and actually got a little stuck!  We had to resort to the Idaho 4x4s to get us out.  It was a little humorous to watch us all try to get out.  The wind was blowing pretty good, it's snowing and probably almost 11pm on Christmas Eve.  We did make it however and fortunately the roads were not as bad as we thought they might be.  We even made it home before Santa arrived!


1 comment:

Claire said...

That sounds like quite the adventure! I had my mom and Jon help me wrap presents this year on christmas eve, so I got to bed an early 11:00pm!!! (not that there were that many, but when you have to do it all yourself, it seems to take all night!!!)