Thought for the Day

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ice Fishing

Since our last visit to Cascade a few months ago, Woody has talked about wanting to go ice fishing. He wanted to gothe weekend of his birthday, however the house that my parents ownthere was going to be rented out. So on a whim, my parents saidthey were going to be going up there last Saturday and asked if we wanted to go. So Woody did some research and last Saturday we took off to Cascade to do some ice fishing. It also helps Ethan complete a scouting badge and in McCall every year at this time they have the Winter Carnival. They have lots of different things going on, but the main attraction are the ice sculptures that artists create and maintain during this time. I remember this as a kid and wanted to try and go see them again.
First was ice fishing. The kids were excited to go check this out and I think they thought their odds of catching some fish was pretty good. Well, let's just say they haven't learned enough about fishing yet! They drilled their holes, tied their fishing lines and literally dropped their lines into the hole. Fortunately it was a fairly nice winter day with little wind, but I'd say the kids were done after about 5 minutes and couldn't figure out why they hadn't caught any fish. The bait was probably frozen after they dropped it into the hole. I don't think I'd be eatin' the bait either. For me, it was a little leap of faith to walk out that far on a frozen lake. I've never walked on water before!

No comments: