Thought for the Day

"Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul." -- Henry Ward Beecher

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Canning, what's that?

Well, it's been about a month since I've talked about anything and my list is piling high so I thought I'd start with some canning.  When I was a kid I remember every year at the end of summer it was the dreaded time for canning!  That meant peeling pears, apples, peaches, making tomato sauce, shucking corn and cutting it off the cob and whatever else you could think of.  Some items always seemed to take forever!  Since I moved away, stopped in Arizona for a couple of years, stayed in Texas too long, got married and had kids; I kind of forgot how to do some of it.  So this year I thought I would take a stab at it just so I knew how to do it and there also seems to be a great abundance of fresh produce in the area.  Plus, we were also fortunate enough to share a garden with my brother and his family and my parents.  That was wonderful!  Here's some highlights of us working in the garden and the beautiful and tasty peaches that I canned.  They are a "Summer Lady" peach and very tasty.  I even grilled some of them and that was fabulous!!  Sorry, forgot to take pictures of that but definitely will next time.

3 comments:

Laree said...

way cute background! We miss you!

ETERNAL FAMILY said...

It look deliclious!! I had never done any canning myself, I remember when my mother did it, it was so long and boring. But since I got married I had always wanted to do it, because now I see the importance of it. If you could, give us the recipe, I'd love to do i!!

Mark and Kristi said...

I have never canned before and have no clue where to begin. Once we move back to AZ I plan on learning... and possibly get food storage started